Thursday, September 1, 2011

Spiced Apple Waffles

My children love waffles. I usually buy Eggo’s, but after my 6 year old downs three of them and is still hungry, it really made me think about what is in them. There is not much bulk to get them through the day, so I decided to take matters into my own hands. I came up with a spiced apple waffle with some whole wheat flour. They loved them. It is an easy way to sneak fruit into their diet without them even knowing it.




Recipe:
1c all-purpose flour
1c whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
2 tbs brown sugar
3 eggs separated
11/2 milk
3 tbs melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 apple grated


Sift flour, baking power and spices and set aside. Whip egg yolks and brown sugar until dissolved. Slowly add in the melted butter, milk and grated apple. Mix the wet and dry ingredients. Whip the egg whites until frothy and a little thick, and then fold into the batter. This recipe makes about 12 4x4 waffles. You can serve with power sugar, maple syrup or sautéed apples on top.



 



Check out my store to save 50-80% off clothing for you and your children!
www.meandmymommy.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment