Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Kid Birthday Cake Ideas!


Over the last couple of years I have tried to create some interesting birthday cakes for my children and family members. I think I have watch too many episodes of Ace of Cakes!

I ask my children, and nieces and nephews, what they want for their cake and go from there. Over the last couple of years I have made some crazy cakes, and with them made myself a little crazy in the process. I tend to be a perfectionist. This is not a good quality to have when you are not a trained baker trying to make a stand out birthday cake! Here are some pics of my creations.



Candy Land Cake
I made this cake for Liam's 4th birthday. I used the Candy Land game board as a guide.





Lego Pirate Ship Cake!
This is by far my favorite cake I have ever made. It was for Liam's 5th birthday and my nephew, Reid's, 7th birthday. The pirate Lego pieces are actually my husband's. He kept a lot of his childhood toys.
To be honest, I can not take full credit for this cake. I baked, molded and frosted the cakes, but Spencer, my husband, did most of the decorating. I must say he did an awesome job.



The plank is a Hersey's candy bar.

The cannon balls are Whoppers attached with a hard wire.


The sand for the island is crushed gram crackers, and the water is butter cream frosting tinted blue.


Castle Cake

This cake was for Shelby's 4th birthday and Ian's 1st birthday. We do a lot of joint parties! Shelby wanted a castle, so I decorated half for a girl and the other half for a boy. Not my best creation. I was running out of time, so I really rushed this one. If you can see in the background, there are pots full of flower candies that I made as favors for this party.
The walls are rice cereal and the tops of the towers are gram crackers dipped in chocolate. I also topped them off with upside down ice cream cones dipped in chocolate,(not shown in the picture.)




These pictures were taken at about 2 am. Clean-up had not taken place yet!!


Double Rainbow

This cake was for my nieces 8th grade graduation. When I asked her what she wanted, she said a double rainbow. There is this song and video on YouTube about a double rainbow. I guess it is really popular with the young folk. The rainbows are Skittles I attached with royal icing. It was a big hit.




Double Lego Tower
My son and nephew (joint B-day party again, always nice to share expenses!) love Lego's and wanted a cake to look like a Lego tower.
 I am not super happy with the outcome, although I am hard on myself. I really wanted it to be a lot cleaner, but no one in my family likes fondant icing, so I used good old butter cream. Around the bottom of the cakes I put Lego candies, I found at a  not-so-local candy store. It was worth the drive, the kids loved them. The boys were very happy with their cakes. They were even happier decorating the cake, I let them put the Lego guys on!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment