Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Corn Chowder

August 28, 2011:
Hurricane Irene made her way up the coast. It rained at my house for 18 hours strait, if not more. We had about 7 inches of rain fall. We were very fortunate to not have any major damage to our home, except for some flooding in the basement.
For me a rainy day equals one thing: cooking. I didn’t have as much time as I would have liked to cook, due to having to shop-vac the basement for a good 6 hours.

I made corn chowder and grilled cheese sandwiches. I got rave reviews from my husband. The leftovers didn’t last long.





Recipe:
2 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1 medium yellow onion – small chop
3 cloves of garlic – minced
5 springs of thyme – leaves only
¼ c flour
6 c chicken stock or broth
2 c heavy cream
2 russet potatoes – small cubes, smaller then a dice
8 ears or corn
6 stripes of cooked bacon
pepper to taste, careful of the salt; the stock has a lot

Heat the butter and olive oil in a large soup pan. Add the onion first and let it cook a couple mins, then add the garlic and thyme. Let cook until the onions are transparent. Sprinkle over the flour and let it cook 2 mins while stirring. Next, slowly wisk in the stock a little at a time, allowing the flour and vegetables to mix in without forming clumps. Bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and the heavy cream and let it boil softly for about 10 minutes. Add in the corn and bacon and simmer for about 10 minutes or until all of the vegetables are tender.

Serve with your favorite hot sandwich.
I made a grilled cheese on roasted garlic ciabatta bread. Delicious!!




 


Check out my store to save 50-80% off clothing for you and your children!
www.meandmymommy.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment