Thursday, November 29, 2012

Beach - Ocean Birthday Cake

My sister asked me to make her mother-in-law's, Christine, birthday cake. Christine is absolutely crazy about the beach, especially Cape Cod. Living in MA she pretty much lives there all summer long. For her surprise 60th birthday party I made her this cake. She cried when she saw it. I was so proud to part of such a special day!














I made a sheet vanilla and chocolate cake. I stacked them with vanilla butter cream frosting in the middle. This way every piece had some vanilla and chocolate cake.
The shells are candies, not soap.(That is what everyone asked me.) I use a Wilton's candy mold and swirled different color melts to give it a marble look.

For the seaweed I melted white chocolate and put dark green food coloring. It did seize up a bit so I also added a couple teaspoons of Crisco until it was the right consistency. I then placed the chocolate on wax paper until it hardened.

The sand is gram crackers that I crushed.

The sand dunes and tower lighthouse is on are rice krispies.

The lighthouse is a "dust collector" my mom had. The fencing is a bamboo place mat that I bought at a dollar store and then cut to size. The chair was purchased at a party supply store.








No comments:

Post a Comment